ask mesa

Best answer

Applying for Financial Aid

There are two ways to apply for financial aid to assist you with your educational expenses at San Diego Mesa College:

  1. For US Citizens or Permanent Residents  please go to: (you must have a FSA ID to complete the FAFSA)
  2. For AB 540 without a valid immigration status, please go to: (you must have a CSAC PIN # to complete the Dream Act)  

To be able to determine student’s eligibility all FAFSA or California Dream Act applications must be completed and received by the school on or before your last day of classes for either the semester or the end of the academic year whichever date comes first.

All applications must have San Diego Mesa College’s school code # 001275 and must have a valid EFC calculated.

To be able to determine aid eligibility all students whether selected for verification or not, must meet all the “basic eligibility requirements” no later than the student’s last day of classes, or the last day of the semester whichever comes first. Any grant eligibility for the period is forfeited, if you do not meet all the basic eligibility requirements as explained above. 

If at any time during the academic year you were selected for verification by the Department of Education or the California Student Aid Commission, you must submit all required documentation as soon as possible but no later than the established deadline. The list of required documents is available to you on Reg-E / “View My Financial Aid”.  Only Financial Aid Office generated forms are available for downloading and printing at:

Currently, it takes approximately 2 weeks for us to receive the response to your FAFSA / Dream Act application. Once received, and depending of volume of applications received it could take 4-6 weeks for us to process an application.  To check the status of your application, log unto your Reg-E / “View My Financial Aid.”

Your FAFSA must be received for us to determine if you are eligible to receive a CCPG - C fee (aka BOG) waiver. Students seeking the CCPG-A (aka BOG) waiver must submit acceptable proof of receiving SSI, TANF/CALWORKS, General Assistance (dated no more than 60 days in the past) and students seeking CCPG-Special Circumstances must submit the certification from the CA Department of Veterans Affairs or agency granting the “special circumstances”). Students should keep in mind that currently it takes 2 full weeks for the college to receive the FAFSA or California Dream Act application electronically. Apply early (at least 2 – 3 months before) to avoid unnecessary stress at the time of enrollment.

If you have additional questions or concerns, you can visit the Financial Aid Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Services Building for direct assistance. In compliance with Federal and SDCCD privacy policies, you must be ready to present your student ID or your valid state issued identification card to receive financial aid file specific information.  For more information please visit our FERPA website link located at: