ask mesa

Best answer

Withdrawal and Financial Aid

If circumstances require you to withdraw from one or more of your classes or from San Diego Mesa College itself, it is important to know that this will not only affect you academically but may have financial implications as well.  Please visit the Financial Aid Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Services Building for direct assistance.

  • If you are enrolled in classes that span the full length of the semester and you withdraw from one or more classes after receiving aid, you may not be required to repay any of the aid already received.
  • If you are enrolled in classes that include late start classes and you withdraw from one or more of the late start classes before the 1st day of your late start classes and you received aid, we are required to recalculate your grant eligibility based on the enrollment level excluding the classes withdrawn and you will be required to repay a percentage of the Grants received that is in excess of your new eligibility. For example; you received $ 2,887 in Pell Grant funds based on Full time enrollment (12 units) and you withdraw/drop a 1 unit PE class the of the aid already received. The recalculation of Pell Grant eligibility for someone enrolled in 11 units or Three-Quarter Times is $2,165. You received $722 in grant overpayment that must be immediately repaid.
  • If you enroll in classes and have to withdraw from all of them (100%) and were determined aid eligible, a calculation process called Return of Title IV (R2T4) will need to be completed by the FA office. Based on the percentage of semester time you attended, the process will determine how much money you may be entitled to. You may need to return funds, the school may need to return funds to the federal aid program, or you may be entitled to additional payment in a program entitled “Post Withdrawal Disbursement.”  Students eligible for a Post Withdrawal Disbursement will receive letter notification and have 14 calendar days from the date on the letter issued to return it to the Financial Aid Office, signed, dated and accepting the disbursement. Letters received after 14 days have elapsed are not eligible for payment.