ask mesa

Best answer

Withdrawal and Financial Aid

If circumstances require you to withdraw from one or more of your classes or from San Diego Mesa College itself, it is important to know that this will not only affect you academically but may have financial implications as well.  Please visit the Financial Aid Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Services Building for direct assistance.

  • If all the classes you are currently enrolled in span the full length of the semester and you withdraw from one or more classes after receiving aid, you may not be required to repay any grant aid already received.
  • If you are currently enrolled in classes that include late start classes and you withdraw from one or more of the late start classes before the 1st day of your late start classes and you received aid, we are required to recalculate your grant eligibility based on the correct enrollment level which will exclude the units from the classes withdrawn and you will be required to repay a percentage of the Grants received that is in excess of your new eligibility. For example; you received $ 2,987 in Pell Grant funds based on Full time enrollment (12 units) and you withdraw/drop a 1 unit PE class the of the aid already received. The recalculation of Pell Grant eligibility for someone enrolled in 11 units or Three-Quarter Times is $2,165. Therefore, you received $722 in grant overpayment that must be immediately repaid. A hold will be placed on your record preventing further enrollment, if you do not repay.
  • If after having aid eligibility determined you have to withdraw from all your classes (100%), schools are required to complete a calculation process called Return of Title IV (R2T4). This calculation will determine how much money you may be entitled to keep or how much money you need to return to the school (if aid was already paid to you). In addition, the school may need to return funds to the federal aid program (which in the future a student may be responsible to repay), or you may be entitled to an additional payment called a “Post Withdrawal Disbursement.”  Students eligible for a Post Withdrawal Disbursement will receive letter notification and have a maximum of 14 calendar days from the date the letter was issued to return the letter signed, dated and accepting the disbursement to the Financial Aid Office. Letters received after the allowable 14 days forfeit eligibility to the funds.