ask mesa

Best answer

Filing your FAFSA

To complete the FAFSA, you must visit: , however, you must 1st create an FSA ID: At least one biological parent of dependent students must complete and obtain an FSA ID to be able to electronically sign the FAFSA. If parents are divorced or never married, the parent with which the student lived more than 50% of the calendar year, or whom had legal custody must apply for the FSA ID.

The application period starts January 2nd and ends 18 months later on June 30th. This means that for a period of time there will be two FAFSA applications available and you must make sure that you are completing the application for the correct academic year.

For example: 1) on January 2, 2016 the Central Processing System (CPS) will have available to students and parents the 2015-2016 FAFSA and the 2016-2017 FAFSA. If you, the student, want to have your aid eligibility determined for the current academic year that has the semesters Fall 2015 and/or Spring 2016, and/or Summer 2016, you must complete the 2015-2016 FAFSA no later than your last day of classes or June 30, 2016 whichever date comes first. Or 2) on January 2, 2016, you the student, want to have your eligibility determined for the following academic year that has the semesters Fall 2016, Spring 2017 and Summer 2017, you must complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA.

San Diego Mesa College priority deadline is April15 prior to the start of an academic year for SEOG and Work Study eligibility determination. For Dream Act Applicants the State deadline is March 2 prior to the start of the academic year for Cal Grant eligibility determination.  

FAFSA applications completed after April 15 are evaluated for Pell Grant and loan (additional application required) eligibility only.

It is important that you submit your FAFSA or CA Dream Act application by the priority filing dates.  Failure to do so will exclude you from potential awards that have limited funding, and may also delay the processing of your application.

If you have additional questions or concerns, you can visit the Financial Aid Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Services Building for direct assistance.